We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Poisonous perennials in the garden can cause symptoms of poisoning in people and especially children. Our list shows 8 highly toxic specimens.Don't worry: not every perennial is poisonous - perennials in the garden with their sonorous names, magnificent flowers or tempting fruits delight hobby gardeners and viewers alike. However, some of them contain toxic substances that are fatal. Toddlers in particular like to explore their environment in a playful way, and it can happen that they taste leaves, flowers and fruit without hesitation. A small amount of plant material is enough in children to cause symptoms of intoxication.
11 aconite (aconite)The most poisonous of the native perennials is the aconite. It owes its name to the characteristic shape of its flower, which looks like an iron helmet that knights and lansquenets wore as hoods in the Middle Ages. Depending on the variety, the monkshood is summer or autumn glowing. Its flowers can shine in the colors blue, light blue, cream or white and give an enticing picture in the herbaceous border. All parts of the Eisenhut plant are very toxic.
Valid active ingredients: Aconitin (alkaloid).
Consequences of poisoning: Hypothermia, cardiac / respiratory paralysis, convulsions, death 1. Aconite (aconite)
22 lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis)The lily of the valley is one of the most popular spring bloomers. It exudes its characteristic fragrance from May to June. The white flowers are hemispherical. Its medium green leaves are broadly lanceolate and have a matt surface. The fruit decoration appears from July to September and shows itself as a bright red, pea-sized berry. The poisonous parts of the Mayflower plant are its leaves and flowers.
Toxic active ingredients: Convallatoxin (cardenolide).
Consequences of poisoning: Nausea, irregular heartbeat and circulatory collapse. With a larger dose, death can occur. 2. Lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis)
33 Foxglove (Digitalis)The foxglove is a clump-forming and taut upright perennial. It is characterized by its firm stems, which give the plant its upright, strong hold. The dark green leaves adhering to it are ovoid. The flowers appear grape to trumpet-shaped. Special varieties of foxglove are grown in Europe as medicinal plants for life-sustaining heart medication.
Toxic active ingredients: Digitoxin (cardenolide).
Consequences of poisoning: Irregular heartbeat, inflammation, nausea, vomiting, visual disturbances, hallucinations. 3. Foxglove (digitalis)
44 Delphinium (Delphinium Belladonna)
Toxic active ingredients: Elatin (alkaloid).
Consequences of poisoning: severe indigestion4. Delphinium (Delphinium belladonna)
55 Christmas roses (Helleborus niger)
Toxic active ingredients: Hellebrigenin (bufadienolide)
Consequences of poisoning: severe heart problems 5. Christmas roses (Helleborus niger)
66 Fall Timeless (Colchicum)The real autumn timeless grows wild on moderately damp meadows. More cultivated varieties can be found in the garden. Each tuber produces several flowers that look great between other autumn bloomers and between half-height perennials. The pure species is particularly suitable for near-natural plantings, such as on a meadow, where it overgrows over time. All parts of the autumn timeless plant are highly toxic.
Toxic active ingredients: Colchicine (alkaloid).
Consequences of poisoning: Nausea, death from central respiratory paralysis6. Fall Timeless (Colchicum)
77 Himalayan may apple (Podophyllum hexandrum)With its bronze-colored shoots, the folded leaves, over which light pink flowers rise, the Himalayan may apple is a particularly decorative plant in the garden. The hand-lobed leaves gradually turn green and later often have a handsome marbling. Chicken-sized, red, oval fruits form from the flowers, but are poisonous. The rhizomes of the plants are also poisonous.
Toxic active ingredients: Podophyllotoxin.
Consequences of poisoning: Nausea and severe indigestion 7. Himalayan May Apple (Podophyllum hexandrum)
88 Bittersweet nightshade (Solanum dulcamara)Bittersweet nightshade is particularly appealing in natural gardens by ponds when it can climb in the woods. The rather inconspicuous, purple flowers are followed by shiny red berries. The domestic subshrub is a well-known, but highly toxic medicinal plant. All parts of the plant are highly toxic, especially the berries that are attractive to children. The green, bitter fruits contain considerably more toxins than the sweet ones.
Toxic active ingredients: steroid alkaloids
Consequences of poisoning: the plant poison can lead to death